Sack Adamu Now, NANS Tells Buhari

<strong>Sack Adamu Now, NANS Tells Buhari</strong>
  • Says we’ll reawaken ‘Ali-must-go’ spirit
  • ‘Almost 18-month cumulative ASUU strike under Minister’ unacceptable
  • Nigeria has world’s highest out-of-school children -UNICEF

Chika Mefor Nwachukwu, Abuja and Ibrahim Goronyo, Sokoto

Following failure of the Education Minister, Malam Adamu Adamu, to proffer solution to the lingering Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, strike, the National Association of Nigerian Students, NANS, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari, to immediately sack the Minister.

This is coming just few days after the ASUU announced the extension of its ongoing strike which has lasted for over five-month by another four weeks if not called off soonest, it would be six months at the expiration of the additional four weeks.

A statement released by the association and signed by its president, Comrade Sunday Asefon, said, it was abundantly clear that the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu lacked the capacity required to manage such an important ministry such as the Ministry of Education.

“He has shown over the years his lack of capacity, technical know-how, and adequate understanding of the complexities of educational management.

“This development calls to question his qualification to be appointed as Minister of Education in the first place. His total lack of compassion and empathy for the plight of Nigerian students speak volumes.

“Since he became the Minister, ASUU has gone on strike for almost 18 months cumulatively and the entire educational structure of our tertiary education system is in total shamble under his watch.

“It is therefore imperative to call on the President to immediately relieve him of his duty in the ministry and bring in a more competent hand, educated, experienced, physically fit, and willing enough to begin the process of salvaging the debris of the collapse of education system in Nigeria with the hope of rebuilding it”, he said.

The students’ body further said it will leave no stone unturned to ensure that their demands are acceded to.

“We will do all that is required to reawaken the spirit of the Ali-Must-Go to ensure that Adamu-Must Go.

“The nation and well-meaning Nigerians must prevail on the government to fire the minister as this will serve as the only good radiance to the bad rubbish we have witnessed under his leadership of the ministry”, the statement said.

Efforts to get a response from the ministry prove abortive as several attempts to get the ministry’s director of Press, Bem Goong on the phone was not successful as his line  was off.

In another development the United Nations International Children’s Education Fund has lamented that Nigeria has the highest number out of school children in the world.

This was disclosed in Sokoto State by the UNICEF Education manager, Sokoto office, Miriam Mareso, who informed that the country has produced one among every five out-of children in the world with statistics showing that the government spends only 2.4% of its Growth Domestic Product, GDP, on both health and education.

Miriam Mareso said this during the opening of a five-day Media Dialogue on Girl Child Education organised for media representatives reporting in Sokoto and Zamfara States.

Mareso urged the government at all levels to, for the sake of creating an enlightened society, implement all policies on girl child education and to ensure the application and fulfillment of budgeted funds for that purpose.

“Government at all levels is expected to put more efforts in implementing policies on girl child education and ensure sustainability while gender and cultural norms, among others, had been identified as some of the major factors responsible for less enrolment of the girl child, especially in Northern Nigeria”.

The UNICEF education manager noted that an average poor girl in Nigeria might have only 50% opportunity of gaining access to both primary and secondary school as there has been only 20% enrolment in primary schools while about 30% are enrolled in secondary school.

Meanwhile the Minister of Labour Dr Chris Ngige has washed his hands off the negotiation between the Federal Government and ASUU on how to resolve the impasse so that lecturers’ will go back to classroom. Ngige said this few days ago that the negotiation is in the hands of the Minister of Education that his ministry remains an observer in the terms of resolution.

Senator Ngige also explained that his ministry has done so much in seeing that it resolved the matter amicably by adopting a voluntary conciliation for the resolution of the strike   by the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, instead of arbitration, in order not to delay the resolution process.

Ngige disclosed this while answering questions from journalists at the Joint Workshop on International Labour Standards and Dispute Resolutions, Organised by the Industrial Arbitration Panel,   IAP, in collaboration with the International Labour Organisation, ILO, in Abuja.The Minister said, he could have transmitted the matter to the IAP or the National Industrial Court of Nigeria, NICN, but used his discretion to weigh the situation to know if it would cause more delay in the resolution of the dispute in a court process.

Recall that President Buhari two weeks ago mandated the Minister of Education Adamu Adamu and the Minister of Finance to do everything possible to resolve the ASUU industrial dispute but the Minister denied it but said he undertook to do the negation within two or three weeks that President Buhari didn’t mandate him.


Tags assigned to this article:
asuuASUU StrikenansUNICEF