Kachikwu submitted letter to Buhari only after media leak

Kachikwu submitted letter to Buhari only after media leak

Ibe Kachikwu, minister of state for petroleum resources, submitted his controversial memo to the office of President Muhammadu Buhari only after it was leaked to the media, AljazirahNigeria gathered.

Whereas the letter — dated August 30, 2017 — leaked on Tuesday, October 3, 2017, he submitted it only on Thursday, October 5.

Buhari was said to have been surprised that he had not seen a letter supposedly written to him before it appeared in the media. He immediately raised an internal query on its whereabouts.

It was initially thought to be a fake letter by presidency until the ministry of state for petroleum resources confirmed it was written by Kachikwu in a press statement on October 4.

The registry of the chief of staff, which takes delivery of official mails for the president, denied receiving any such letter from the minister.

In standard public sector practice, all incoming mails are stamped “received” with date, time and signature of the receiving clerk all recorded. An acknowledgement copy is then given to the sender.

Kachikwu was asked by presidency to provide an acknowledgment copy of his letter, TheCable understands, but he said he could not find it, further fuelling internal suspicion that there was a political slant to the controversy.

ONLINE VERSION

He was then directed to submit another copy, which was received and stamped “received” on October 5.

However, the formatting of the letter he submitted on Thursday was different from what was circulated in the media, although the substance is the same.

In the new copy, the last paragraph on the opening page had four lines, whereas there were only two lines in the internet version with the other two lines “jumping” into the second page, TheCable learnt.

On page 6, the subheading of the first paragraph was “STOP” — but this was not in the online version.

It was also said that his story became inconsistent along the line.

In the fresh copy Kachikwu sent to the office of the president on October 5, he wrote in the covering note that he was “re-sending” what he had earlier sent “to the registry of the chief of staff”, but TheCable understands that when he was asked at a security meeting on Tuesday, he said he actually sent the letter to Daura, where the president had gone for the Eid-el-Kabir celebrations.

NO MEETING

The president does not have official mail receiving facility in his hometown but sources said Kachikwu might have requested someone to hand-deliver it to him and the courier might have failed to do so.

Kachikwu, who complained in his memo about insubordination and humiliation by the group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Maikanti Baru, in the widely publicised letter, was at the presidential villa on Friday, October 6 — ostensibly for a meeting with the Buhari.

Although it was reported in the media that he met with Buhari that day, it has turned out no such meeting was held.

TheCable confirmed that he was only able to meet presidential aides and that was why there were no pictures with Buhari and he did not make any comments to the State House media on the visit.

However, an angry Buhari ordered Baru to reply Kachikwu’s letter through the media since that was also where he read the minister’s complaints.

Buhari, sources told TheCable, believes the letter was meant to embarrass him because as the petroleum minister, he, and not Kachikwu, has the supervisory function over NNPC.

CONTRACT AWARDS

Baru was specifically instructed to explain the contract-awarding process at the NNPC under the procedures established by Kachikwu himself when he was GMD.

The NNPC, in a statement by Ndu Ughamadu, the group general manager (group public affairs), on Monday denied Kachikwu’s allegations and maintained that no law had been broken in the contract awards, most of which were not on cash basis and could not be valued as done by the minister in the memo.

But the corporation was silent on the issue of key management appointments which Kachikwu complained were made without his knowledge.

Aso Rock insiders also dismissed Kachikwu’s claims that he was denied access to the president which he said forced him to write the memo.

“The president was away on medical leave from May 7 to August 19. While still settling in, he went to Daura for the Sallah break, and not longer after that he went for the UN general assembly,” a senior presidency official told TheCable.

“Kachikwu dated his letter August 30th. When was he prevented from seeing the president? Kachikwu had been doing a lot of travelling, from the Netherlands to Abu Dhabi, Beijing, Washington DC and other places all the while.”

TheCable tried to get in touch with Kachikwu but he did not pick his calls or respond to messages all throughout Tuesday.

However, an associate of the minister said Kachikwu was not responsible for the media leak, and that he made frantic efforts to stop the publication but it was too late.

Website design in Abuja


follow us on twitter @aljazirahnewsng
Like us on Facebook @aljazirahnewsng

Share This:

Related Posts

Police dismiss three officers ‘involved in drug trafficking’... The Kogi state police command has dismissed three of its officers for their alleged involvement in the trafficking of 30 bags of weeds suspected to be Indian hemp. Willaim Aya, the command’s public relations officer, who confirmed this on Wednesday, said the officers have been handed over to the ...
CSOs call for halt to NGO Bill, recall of House of Reps memb... By Yemi Esho, Abuja A group of civil society organizations, under the aegis of Global Rights Nigeria, has called for a stop to the process of passing a bill for an Act to provide for the establishment of the Non-Governmental Organizations Regulatory Commission to supervise, coordinate and monitor n...
ACE organizes business empowerment for women By Yemi Esho, Abuja A non-profit making organisation, the Assisting, Caring and Empowering (ACE) Charity, Abuja whose core objective is sustaining, realizing and making differences in the lives of Africans has organized the second phase of its Business Empowerment Program for Women (BEPW) in ...
#EndSARS: Senate begins probe of SARS The senate on Tuesday resolved to investigate the activities of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS). The upper legislative arm mandated its committee on security to look into the allegations of brutality against SARS operatives and present recommendations within two weeks. The move followed ...
Kogi Chief of Staff commissions 7 boreholes for KGLG communi... The Chief of Staff to the Kogi Governor, Hon Edward Onoja, Sunday, commissioned 7 boreholes for communities in Ogugu District in Olamaboro Local Government Area of the State. The seven boreholes, InsideStory gathered, were sunk by the Chief of Staff and other appointees of the Kogi State government...
Wike in trouble as Yoruba youths issue 7-day ultimatum The Yoruba Youths Congress (YYC) has issued a  seven-day ultimatum to the governor of Rivers state, Nyesom Wike to tender a public apology to the Yoruba people for passing derogatory statements on them on a national television. YYC alleged that Wike made unprintable statements against the Yorubas...
PDP Convention: Loud promotion of corruption – by Reub... The elective Convention of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that took place at the Eagle Square in Abuja on Saturday, December 9, was a charade and an anti-climax. Everyone who had been a witness to the travails of the once-upon-a-time ruling party which lost power to the All Progressives Congr...
Timaya grabs Grammy awards nomination By Amina Isah, Abuja Nigerian dancehall icon, Timaya has been nominated for the 2018 Grammy awards for his collaboration with Morgan Heritage. The singer received this first nomination off Morgan’s new album titled “Avrekedabra”. He was featured alongside Stonebwoy from Ghana, Chubb Rock, Styl...
Di’ja to release first EP since Mavin ‘activated’ her Di’Ja is set to release her debut EP nearly four years after she was signed by Mavin Records. The singer and mother of one joined the Don Jazzy-led Mavin Records in February 2014. In two months, she would have spent four years at the record label which uses ‘Mavin Activated’ to announce the ad...
Nigerians are no longer safe even in their homes since Buhar... A former governor of old Kaduna State and leader of the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP), Alhaji Balarabe Miss, said on Monday that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has nothing to offer Nigerians. Musa, who spoke during the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the PRP in Kaduna, said the...
Ethiopian airline plane unable to land in Enugu, returns to ... An Ethiopian international flight which could not land at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu on Sunday due to bad weather was forced to make a quick u-turn and flew back to Ethiopia. The bad weather was occasioned by the harmattan season. The passengers who expressed anxiety and concerns w...
FG to release fresh N750bn for capital projects The Federal Government on Monday said the sum of N750bn would be released this week to Ministries, Departments and Agencies of government for implementation of capital projects contained in the 2017 budget. The Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, gave the figure while speaking during a meeting...
Ambode presents N1.046tr 2018 budget to Lagos Assembly The Lagos State Governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, on Monday, December 2017, presented 2018 budget estimates of N1,046,121,181,680 to the Lagos State House of Assembly for approval. The budget, tagged: “Budget of Progress and Development” is about N233.12 billion higher than the 2017 budget which s...