Fuel scarcity looms as NUPENG goes on strike

by AljazirahNigeria | January 11, 2017 4:46 pm

The Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, on Wednesday began its three-day nationwide warning strike over unresolved labour issues with multinationals operating in the oil and gas industry.

Rotimi Benjamin, the Vice-Chairman, South-West Zonal Council of the union, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos that the three nation’s refineries were not loading due to the strike.

Mr. Benjamin said that the situation remained the same in both private and NNPC depots in Lagos, adding that loading had been grounded due to the strike.

The vice-chairman said that the union had mobilised members to ensure that the strike achieves its purpose.

He said that the leadership of the union did not proceed on strike to make life difficult for the masses but to press home its demand.

Mr. Benjamin, however, said that the National Executive Council of the union were currently meeting with Federal Government representatives and international oil companies on the way forward.

He said the leadership of the union would address the public on whether to suspend the warning strike or to continue with it.

A correspondent who monitored the strike observed that all depots in Lagos were not loading petroleum products as a result of the strike.

 

Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD) were seen discussing the strike in groups.

A tanker driver from Ekiti State, Oluwole Joseph, who came to load at NIPCO Depot in Apapa, said he thought the strike would not go on.

Mr. Joseph said that he thought the government would have met with the leadership of the union to resolve the issues.

He said that he hoped the strike would be suspended after Wednesday’s meeting with the union.

NUPENG, on December16, gave the Federal Government a notice of a three-day nation-wide warning strike from the second week of January 2017, over unresolved labour issues with multinationals operating in the oil and gas industry.

The President of the union, Igwe Achese, in a statement, said the decision was taken at the end of the NUPENG NEC meeting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

He warned that the three-day warning strike was preparatory to a nation-wide strike, if there was no intervention by the Federal Government.

On December10, NUPENG concluded from its NEC meeting in Abuja to continue with the three-day warning strike starting from January 11.

WhatsApp

follow us on twitter @aljazirahnewsng[1]
Like us on Facebook @aljazirahnewsng[2]

Share This:

Related Posts

UN launches global campaign to assist 70m unemployed youths UN agencies have launched a new global campaign to make it easier for  70 million unemployed youths to get financing and learn new skills to start a business. The campaign was  launched by  International Labour Organisation (ILO), International Trade Centre, UN Capital Development Fund, UN Confer...
Nigerian woman survives 10 days in Sahara Desert A 22-year-old Nigerian woman attempting to migrate into Europe via the harsh Sahara Desert survived after being abandoned by traffickers for 10 days. The International Organisation for Migration said the woman, given the nickname Adoara, was the only female among the survivors of a rescue mission...
Nigeria seeks $5 Billion loan from World Bank to boost power... The Federal Government is seeking a loan of $5bn from the World Bank Group to boost power availability in Nigeria, investigation has shown. The World Bank had in April stated that a powerful delegation from Nigeria was in Washington DC to discuss assistance for the nation’s power sector, but did ...
Workers welfare not properly captured in 2017 budget – NLC The Nigeria Labour Congress says workers welfare is not properly captured in the 2017 national budget. The NLC President, Mr Ayuba Wabba, said this while speaking with newsmen on Tuesday in Abuja. “Our budget system is not transparent enough, if you look at the estimate of this year budget, ...
We don’t want war, we want referendum – IPOB The Indigenous People of Biafra on Tuesday said the mission of the group was being misconstrued by most Nigerians. It said the group had not thought of using war as a solution to achieving its objective of self-determination. In a press statement made available to our correspondent in Awka, ...
Billionaire Kidnapper Evans reveals identity of his gun supp... Security agencies in Bayelsa State have started an investigation into the identity of a man named Suoyo whom Evans the Kidnapper mentioned as one of his gang members in the state. In one of his numerous confessional statements, Evans the kidnapper said Suoyo is one of the most active members of h...
PDP ‘ministers forum’ pay Jonathan Sallah homage... Courtesy visit on former President Jonathan Goodluck by Kabiru Turaki led PDP ministers forum.
Women absorb, retain DNA of men they have unprotected s*x wi... A new study found that women retain and carry living DNA from every man with whom they have unprotected s*xual intercourse. The finding was made from the University of Seattle and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. It is not clear how solid these findings are but the study, which was focus...
Pastor caught trying to bury charm on neighbour’s comp... Pastor caught trying to bury charm on neighbour's compound (Picture). The plot was to bury it and later bring it out after conducting 'deliverance' for the family.
Time for medical board to determine Buhari’s fitness t... An Abuja-based political scientist and national security scholar, Mr. Ayokunle Fagbemi, has called on statutory entities of the Federal Government to initiate the processes for the determination of President Muhammadu Buhari's health status. He made the call in a press statement made available t...
Facebook to start high profile TV series Facebook will soon start production of high-quality television series and gaming shows to be broadcast on its platform, one of the social media giant’s executives said on Monday. The online platform, which has around two billion monthly users worldwide, is working on the project with a small group ...
Why Adesina won world food prize World Food Prize Foundation has explained why Dr Akinwumi Adesina won the 250,000 dollars 2017 World Food Prize Laureate prize on Monday. President of the Foundation, Amb. Kenneth Quinn said Adesina won the prize “for driving change in African agriculture for over 25 years and improving food securi...
Endnotes:
  1. @aljazirahnewsng: https://twitter.com/AljazirahnewsNG
  2. @aljazirahnewsng: https://web.facebook.com/aljazirahnewsng

Source URL: http://aljazirahnews.com/fuel-scarcity-looms-nupeng-goes-strike/