FG to beef up security in worship centres

FG to beef up security in worship centres

The Federal Government says it will come up with security plans that will guarantee the safety of lives and property in worship centres across the country.

Chris Ngige, Minister for Labour and Employment, said this in Amakwa, Ozubulu in Ekwusigo council when he led a delegation to commiserate with the people and government of Anambra on Saturday over last week’s attack in a church.

The delegation was led to St. Philips Catholic Church by Nkem Okeke, Deputy Governor of Anambra and Hillary Okeke, the Catholic Bishop of Nnewi Diocese.

Mr. Ngige said the Federal Government would cooperate with Anambra to ensure that the culprits were brought to book.

The minister, who described the attack as heinous, wicked and sacrilegious, said the delegation would report back to the presidency.

He said the Federal Government would also work out a security framework that would protect worshipers anywhere in the country.

Mr. Ngige, who was briefed by the Bishop and Parish Priest of the church, Jude Onwuaso, said efforts would be made to forestall future recurrence.

In his remarks, the deputy governor said the church was praying for the repentance of the perpetrators.

He said the government and the security agencies could go ahead with the hunt for the culprits, but as Christians, the diocese was praying that the masterminds should change their ways.

He called for prayers and support for the victims either directly to the affected families or through the church through its Victims’ Support Fund.

Other members of the delegation included the Minister of State for Education, Anthony Anwukah, the Minister of Health, Isaac Adewole, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama and the Minister of State for Environment, Ibrahim Jubrin.

(NAN)

aljazirah adverts


follow us on twitter @aljazirahnewsng
Like us on Facebook @aljazirahnewsng

Share This:

Related Posts

Buhari’s Arrival: Police mounts ‘Presidential guard of... The Nigerian Police has mounted the Presidential Guard of Honour at the Presidential Wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, Abuja. This is towards the arrival of President Muhammadu Buhari from his medical vacation in London   ...
EFCC to relocate office, overhauls security nationwide Following a dawn attack, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission( EFCC) has decided to relocate its annex office handling sensitive cases. Also, while the Nigeria Police Force intensified its investigation of the attack, the anti-graft agency was fingering high-profile suspects. But the...
REVEALED: Shocking details of Diezani Madueke’s proper... By Shade Olaoye, Abuja The story and follow up on Diezani Alison Madueke is no news, it appears that with each day that passes, a new looting revelation awaits us. The Rivers state born was appointed the Minister of Transportation in 2007, and Minister of petroleum in 2010. Perhaps, one might ...
Man in court for impersonating Oba of Lagos A 34-year old man, Ayodeji Babalola, on Friday appeared in Ebute Meta Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly impersonating as the Oba of Lagos. The accused, whose address is unknown, is facing a four-count charge, bordering on false representation, stealing, fraudulently obtaining money and in...
SERAP seeks more protection for EFCC officials Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged the acting President Pro. Yemi Osinbajo to order the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Kpotun Idris, to lead the investigation of Wednesday’s attack by gunmen on the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commissi...
Boko Haram’s original intention was not to Abduct Us – Chibo... More information around the abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok, Borno State by Boko Haram insurgents in 2014 has emerged through secret dairies kept by the girls. One of the authors of the dairies, Naomi Adamu wrote that the insurgents had come to the school on that night in April...
Ex-acting CJN, Obaseki buried in Benin The remains of a former acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Andrews Obaseki, have been laid to rest in Benin, the Edo State capital. The late Obaseki, who was an uncle to the State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, died on July 13 at the age of 91. He was buried close to the grave of his la...
Osun govt declares Monday work free to celebrate ‘Ises... The Government of Osun has declared Monday, Aug. 21 work free day to commemorate ‘Isese Day’ the annual festival of adherents of traditional religion in the state. A statement issued by Mr Adelani Baderinwa, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, said that government declared the holiday ...
Asari Dokubo reveals name of Buhari’s ailment, says he will ... Former militant leader, Asari Dokubo, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari. will never be well again. He said that this is the reason no doctor has been able to diagnose his ailment. Asari said the hands of God is on Buhari just as they were on Pharoah. Asari also said the name of the d...
Osinbajo attends President Kagame’s inauguration in Rwanda The inauguration is expected to be witnessed by several African Heads of State and Government, following President Kagame’s victory in the country’s Presidential election on August 4. Prof. Osinbajo is accompanied on the trip by the Foreign Affairs Minister Geoffrey Onyeama and is expected back i...
“Nigeria may sink if attacks on IPOB members continue&... Two Igbo groups, the Igbo Peoples Congress, and the Igbo Aborigines, have warned the Nigerian Army and security agents to stop killing pro-Biafran agitators, who are not  armed or obstructing public peace. The warning came on the heels of recent shootings and killings of some pro-Biafran member...
Buhari’s health has improved tremendously – Dogara Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Yakubu Dogara, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s health has improved tremendously. The Speaker and the President of Senate Dr. Bukola Saraki visited the President at Abuja House in London on Thursday. It will be recalled that President Buhari ...
IS claims responsibility for terror attack in Barcelona “Soldiers” of the Islamic State group carried out a deadly van attack in Barcelona on Thursday, the jihadist organisation’s propaganda outlet Amaq said. “The executors of the Barcelona attack were soldiers of the Islamic State,” Amaq said on its Telegram messenger account, without naming those it...