Chibok Girls: FG rejects BBOG conditions for joining search

Chibok Girls: FG rejects BBOG conditions for joining search

The Federal Government has rejected the conditions given by the Bring Back Our Girls group for joining the search for the missing Chibok girls in Sambisa Forest.

In a letter addressed to the convener of the group, Mrs. Obiageli Ezekwesili, which was made available to the media on Sunday, the government said it was unable to postpone the trip as scheduled.

The letter dated January 14 was signed by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.

“Thank you for your letter, dated Jan. 13, which is in response to ours of Jan. 11, requesting that we change the date of the proposed guided tour of the North-East to accommodate a Pre-Tour Meeting between your organisation and some top officials of the Federal Government.

“We have also noted the conditions you gave for embarking on the trip which include the said Pre-Tour Meeting and the retraction of some remarks allegedly made by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. – Gen. Tukur Buratai, which the #BBOG finds to be slanderous.

“We regret, however, to inform you that we are unable to postpone the trip as scheduled. ’’

The government insisted the team would proceed on the trip on Monday as scheduled because of the narrow window available to have a good weather on the day.

It said that payment for the satellite downlink streaming of the mission had been made for the day and shifting the date will require another round of booking to secure such a slot.

The government added that apart from the BBOG members, local and international journalists had been invited for the trip, while some preparations had been made by the Nigerian military.

It noted that the remarks purportedly made by the Chief of Army Staff and the request for a meeting with its certain top officials were irrelevant to its request for the BBOG to join in the search mission.

The government stressed that it extended the invitation to the BBOG in recognition of the group’s commitment to the safe release of the Chibok girls in captivity and interest in the welfare of those who had been released.

“We hope that the BBOG will drop its conditions and join the trip which shows the commitment of the Federal Government to securing freedom for the Chibok girls and its transparency in handling the issues of the girls. ’’

The government had in a letter of Jan. 11, invited members of BBOG to a short trip in a military operational flight into Sambisa forest in search of the missing Chibok girls.

In the letter, the government asked the BBOG to nominate three of its members to join on the guided trip out of which two would join the sorties due to limited seats on the search plane.

The government had stated that the trip would avail the BBOG the opportunity to witness and better understand the efforts being made to secure the freedom of the girls and other victims of Book Haram terrorists.

The BBOG had in its reply to the invitation letter requested the government to meet certain conditions before the tour and also demanded for a change in the scheduled date.

Specifically, the group requested a Pre-Tour Meeting with some officials of government and a retraction of some remarks allegedly made by the Chief of Army Staff, which it alleged are defamatory.

Punch

Nigerian Online Newspaper=


follow us on twitter @aljazirahnewsng
Like us on Facebook @aljazirahnewsng

Share This:

Related Posts

Parents Of Abducted Dapchi Schoolgirls To Join BBOG Campaign Parents of schoolgirls recently abducted in Dapchi town of Yobe State plan to join the Bring Back Our Girls movement that gained global prominence in a bid to win freedom for their girls. This was revealed by one of the  Dapchi village leader said on Friday By Chidozie Ogbonnaya The dreaded Islami...
Yobe State Government Says 48 Of 94 Missing Schoolgirls Retu... The Forty-Eight out of the missing ninety-four students from Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi have returned according to the Yobe state government. This was made known by the state commissioner of education, Mohammed Lamin, who disclosed that while 28 of the missing students returned on...
Boko Haram Attacks Girls School In Yobe Boko Haram jihadists launched an attack on a girls boarding school in Yobe state, northeast Nigeria but the students and teachers fled to safety, witnesses said Monday. Boko Haram A convoy of fighters in pickup trucks descended on Dapchi village in the Bursari area of Yobe state around 6 pm (1700...
Boko Haram: Get Shekau Dead Or Alive, Buratai Charges Troops The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has again charged troops to capture Abubakar Shekau, the factional leader of the Boko Haram terrorists group, alive or dead. Buratai gave the charge at Camp Zairo, the former Command and Control Centre of the terrorists group in the Sambisa forest ...
Boko Haram Abduct Dozen Of Travelers On Maiduguri-Damboa Roa... Dozens of the travelers were abducted on Saturday by suspected Boko Haram terrorists on Maiduguri-Damboa Road, security sources have told  SaharaReporters. The incident, said sources, occurred at about noon in Kuwa Kauwa, a village near Bulaburin in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State.     ...
‘Army Not Aware Of Shekau’s Whereabouts’ The Nigerian Army on Friday dismissed as “misleading” reports indicating that the Boko Haram factional leader, Abubakar Shekau, escaped to Cameroun. Brig.-Gen. Sani Kukasheka, the Director, Army Public Relations, said in a statement issued in Maiduguri that the army was not aware of the whereabou...
Troops Movement as Cat Race Began BY JONATHAN IPAA, ABUJA A large number of soldiers were noticed in some parts of Nasarawa and Benue last night as the military commences its planned cat race. The military exercise coded, "Ayem A Kpatuma", according to the military is aimed at crushing armed militants in the middle belt region...
Boko Haram Releases 13 Hostages To FG Dreaded Islamist militant group, Boko Haram has released 13 people who were kidnapped in north-eastern Nigeria last year, the government says. They include 10 women seized during an attack on a police convoy and three lecturers from Maiduguri taken during an oil exploration trip. President Muham...
Boko Haram’s Shekau Calls Self ‘Invincible’... Says Military did not defeat Boko Haram By Chidozie Ogbonnaya with agency report The leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau says he's still in control of an important territory that the Nigerian military says it has seized back from the islamist group. In the 10-minute video released on ...
Boko Haram Attacks Borno After Army’s Claim of Complet... Barely 48 hours of announcing that the dreaded Boko Haram Islamist group have been completely defeated by the Nigerian army, Boko Haram terrorists attacked Kala village, opposite the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Dalori, Borno State. It will be recalled that last week,  Theatre C...
Army rescues 100 civilians, claims Boko Haram completely def... Maj.-Gen. Rogers Nicholas, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, says the Nigerian Army has completely defeated the Boko Haram insurgents. Nicholas stated this during the inauguration of the Nigeria-Cameroun Military Joint Mission on Saturday in Maiduguri. He disclosed that his troops ...
Boko Haram kills 11 in Maiduguri Eleven people were killed when Boko Haram gunmen and suicide bombers launched a rare combined attack inside the strategic northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, police said on Thursday. Borno state police commissioner Damian Chukwu said one civilian was killed as locals in the Jiddari Polo area of...
Boko Haram suspect regains freedom after four years in custo... Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, discharged a Boko Haram suspect, Usman Abubakar, who was arraigned alongside six others on terrorism charges. Abubakar, the 6th defendant, was allegedly involved in the abduction of seven foreigners from a construction site in Bauchi, who were taken to Sambi...

Tags assigned to this article:
armyBBOGBoko HaramChibok girls