Boko Haram suspect regains freedom after four years in custody

Boko Haram suspect regains freedom after four years in custody

Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, discharged a Boko Haram suspect, Usman Abubakar, who was arraigned alongside six others on terrorism charges.

Abubakar, the 6th defendant, was allegedly involved in the abduction of seven foreigners from a construction site in Bauchi, who were taken to Sambisa Forest, in Borno, where they were murdered in February 2013.

He was charged alongside Mohammed Usman (a.k.a Khalid Al-Barnawi), Mohammed Bashir Saleh, Umar Mohammed Bello (a.k.a Abu Azzan), Mohammed Salisu (a.k.a Datti), Yakubu Nuhu (a.k.a Bello Maishayi) and a lady, Halima Haliru.

They were arraigned on an 11-count bordering on abduction and murder of their victims.

At the resumed trial, the prosecuting counsel, Mr Shuaibu Labaran, informed the court of the development, which was filed on June 5, saying that the prosecution has nothing against the 6th defendant.

Labaran said that among other features in the amended information is the “striking out’’ of Usman Abubakar as a defendant, in line with the information filed on Feb. 23, 2017.

The prosecution added two other defendants- Mohammed Sani and Abubakar Habib.

They are to be arraigned, bringing the number of defendants to eight.
Labaran prayed the court for an adjournment to enable him to produce the two new defendants for arraignment.

The discharged defendant’s counsel, Mr K. Abdulkarim urged the court to speed up his discharge processes.

The judge, Justice John Tsoho, in a short ruling, struck out the name of the 6th defendant, who has spent four years in custody.

Tsoho adjourned the matter until June 19 for the two defendants to take their plea.

Nigerian Online Newspaper=


follow us on twitter @aljazirahnewsng
Like us on Facebook @aljazirahnewsng

Share This:

Related Posts

Yobe State Government Says 48 Of 94 Missing Schoolgirls Retu... The Forty-Eight out of the missing ninety-four students from Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi have returned according to the Yobe state government. This was made known by the state commissioner of education, Mohammed Lamin, who disclosed that while 28 of the missing students returned on...
Boko Haram: Get Shekau Dead Or Alive, Buratai Charges Troops The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has again charged troops to capture Abubakar Shekau, the factional leader of the Boko Haram terrorists group, alive or dead. Buratai gave the charge at Camp Zairo, the former Command and Control Centre of the terrorists group in the Sambisa forest ...
Boko Haram Abduct Dozen Of Travelers On Maiduguri-Damboa Roa... Dozens of the travelers were abducted on Saturday by suspected Boko Haram terrorists on Maiduguri-Damboa Road, security sources have told  SaharaReporters. The incident, said sources, occurred at about noon in Kuwa Kauwa, a village near Bulaburin in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State.     ...
Boko Haram Releases 13 Hostages To FG Dreaded Islamist militant group, Boko Haram has released 13 people who were kidnapped in north-eastern Nigeria last year, the government says. They include 10 women seized during an attack on a police convoy and three lecturers from Maiduguri taken during an oil exploration trip. President Muham...
Boko Haram’s Shekau Calls Self ‘Invincible’... Says Military did not defeat Boko Haram By Chidozie Ogbonnaya with agency report The leader of Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau says he's still in control of an important territory that the Nigerian military says it has seized back from the islamist group. In the 10-minute video released on ...
Boko Haram Attacks Borno After Army’s Claim of Complet... Barely 48 hours of announcing that the dreaded Boko Haram Islamist group have been completely defeated by the Nigerian army, Boko Haram terrorists attacked Kala village, opposite the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Dalori, Borno State. It will be recalled that last week,  Theatre C...
Army rescues 100 civilians, claims Boko Haram completely def... Maj.-Gen. Rogers Nicholas, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, says the Nigerian Army has completely defeated the Boko Haram insurgents. Nicholas stated this during the inauguration of the Nigeria-Cameroun Military Joint Mission on Saturday in Maiduguri. He disclosed that his troops ...
Boko Haram kills 11 in Maiduguri Eleven people were killed when Boko Haram gunmen and suicide bombers launched a rare combined attack inside the strategic northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, police said on Thursday. Borno state police commissioner Damian Chukwu said one civilian was killed as locals in the Jiddari Polo area of...
Bomb Scare: Passengers jump off plane in Australia Terrified passengers jumped from a Virgin Airline plane at an Australian airport after a threatening note was found on board. According to AAP, passengers were told to leave their luggage and jump about 1.2 metres from the exits onto the tarmac. The reported bomb threat, which turned out to be...
Shekarau supports Buhari’s anti-corruption battle Ibrahim Shekarau, former governor of Kano state and PDP chief, has declared that he is an ardent supporter of the anti-corruption efforts of the federal government. The former minister of education lauded the anti-corruption fight by President Muhammadu Buhari while speaking with journalists in S...
Troops capture 14 Boko Haram terrorists Troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole have captured 14 Boko Haram terrorists and neutralised many others in Borno State. The Army embarked on clearance operations at Chikum Gudu in the northern part of Borno State on Friday when they captured the terrorists. Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, the Director of ...
Nigeria rejected British offer to rescue seized Chibok schoo... British armed forces offered to attempt to rescue nearly 300 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, but were rebuffed by Goodluck Jonathan, Nigeria’s president at the time, the Observer has learned. In a mission named Operation Turus, the RAF conducted air recon...
Mubi Polytechnic recovering from Boko Haram attack, admits 4... The Federal Polytechnic Mubi, Adamawa is steadily recovering from the Boko Haram attack of 30 months ago. The institution has matriculated 4,600 students for its 2016/2017 academic session. The attack, which occurred in October 2014, led to a low intake of 1,936 students for the 2015/2016 acad...

Tags assigned to this article:
Boko HaramInsurgencyterrorism