Army rescues 80 Boko Haram victims

Army rescues 80 Boko Haram victims

The Nigerian Army said last night that its troops on fighting patrols and clearance operations, rescued a total of 80 hostages mostly women and children who had been held captive for several months by Boko Haram terrorists in Garere village in Borno State.

During the operations to rescue the hostages, aljazirahnews learnt that scores of the terrorists were killed and large scale number of arms and ammunition recovered.

A statement detailing the operations, signed by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations said, “Following confirmed intelligence report on the convergence and massing up of dislodged Boko Haram terrorists at Garere village in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State, with intent of carrying out attack on some isolated communities, troops on fighting and clearance patrol Codenamed “Operation TIGER CLAW” on Tuesday 19th July 2016 swooped on the terrorists.

“During the ensuing operation, 42 Boko Haram terrorists were killed, while unconfirmed number of the insurgents escaped with gunshot wounds. “Similarly, 38 women and 42 children held captives were rescued from the insurgents. The women and children were taken to the military medical facility in Baga for checks. They were further assisted with food and clothing.

“The patrol team also recovered 504 rounds of 7.62mm (NATO) ammunition, 162 rounds of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition, 1 Land Cruiser Jeep, 34 Jerry cans of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) and Automated Gas Oil (AGO), while 55 Motorcycles were demobilized during the operation. “The troops have continued to intensify vigilance and maintained high level of alertness. They are making concerted efforts to clear the remnants of the terrorists in their area of responsibilities.
follow us on twitter @aljazirahnewsng

Like us on Facebook @aljazirahnewsng

Related Posts

British newspaper report accuses army of ‘supporting&#... "A few days before any attack, a military helicopter is spotted dropping arms and other supplies into the areas inhabited by the Fulani tribes. Then the attack comes. For reasons of Islamic doctrine, the militia often deliver a letter of warning. Then they come, at any time of night or day, not down...
WFP director arrives Nigeria to visit North East torn by Bok... ABUJA – World Food Programme (WFP) Executive Director Ertharin Cousin arrives in Nigeria late Tuesday for talks with government officials and to visit the Northeast, where WFP is assisting more than a million people who lives were wrecked by Boko Haram violence. After meetings with government and...
Buhari condemns terrorist attack on University of Maiduguri ... President Muhammadu Buhari has condemned the terrorist attack at a mosque in the University of Maiduguri which happened at the wee hours of Monday morning, killing scores of persons. In a statement by his spokesman, Mr. Femi Adesina, the President expressed sympathy and heartfelt condolences to the ...
Troops rescue 58 people in 2 days Troops operating in the North-East have rescued 58 people abducted by terrorists in the last two days, including 35 women and 23 children. The Director of Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, said in a statement on Sunday that the victims were rescued during raids carried out by 112 Task...
Chibok Girls: FG rejects BBOG conditions for joining search The Federal Government has rejected the conditions given by the Bring Back Our Girls group for joining the search for the missing Chibok girls in Sambisa Forest. In a letter addressed to the convener of the group, Mrs. Obiageli Ezekwesili, which was made available to the media on Sunday, the gove...
Army kills 13 Boko Haram suspects in clearance operations The Nigerian Army on Sunday said soldiers killed 13 suspected Boko Haram members during clearance operations in Bomboshe and Sinbaya in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno. Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, the Director of Army Public Relations, said in a statement in Maiduguri that the operations were car...
Chibok Girls: FG invites BBOG for search in Sambisa The Federal Government has invited members of the Bring Our Girls Back (BBOG) to a short trip in a military operational flight into Sambisa forest in search of the missing Chibok girls. The invitation extended to members of the BBOG, an advocacy group for the release of the missing school girls f...
Army kills 10 terrorists in reprisal attack The Military says it has successfully repelled attack by the Boko Haram terrorists at Kangarwa in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno. Brig.-Gen. Sani Usman, the Director of Army Public Relations, said in a statement in Maiduguri that the operation was carried out on Friday. According to him...
Boko Haram is yet to be defeated – Buhari President Muhammadu Buhari has conceded that his government is yet to declare victory over the Boko Haram terrorist group until all the kidnapped Chibok school girls are rescued. The president admitted this in a letter he wrote to Pakistani child rights activist, Malala Yousafzai, in which he off...
The untold stories of journalists working on the front lines... By Mercy Abang, Maiduguri "A 9-year-old boy dressed for school turns to say goodbye, within the  twinkle of an eye, a bullet from an AK47 rifle makes its way through his body. I watched him drop dead immediately. His crime? He wore a school uniform and was headed for school.” 63-year-old veteran ...
Army recover more Boko Haram items in Sambisa The Nigerian Army said on Wednesday that it had recovered more suspected Boko Haram terrorists’ items during a mop-up operation around Camp Zairo in Sambisa forest. Maj. – Gen. Lucky Irabor, the Theater Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, stated this while briefing newsmen in Maiduguri. Irabor...
Boko Haram now attacking private residences – Nigerian... Terrorist group adopts new strategy of attacking residences in wave of attacks The Nigerian army has issued a warning to Nigerians about a new tactic terror sect, Boko haram has devised in their attacks. In a statement signed by the deputy director army public relations, Mustapha Anka, the terror...
8 killed in 3 suicide attacks in Maiduguri – Police The Borno Police Command on Monday said eight people have died in three separate suicide attacks in Maiduguri on Sunday night. The police said five suicide bombers, a Civilian JTF and two others died in the separate attacks at Garki Muna village and Kaleri area of Gwange. A statement by the co...

Tags assigned to this article:
Boko Haram